Tuesday, March 17, 2009

All Done Potty

We've started pre-potty training Addison... this consists of making her take potty breaks to sit on the potty, even though we don't have expectations of her actually producing anything; using pull ups instead of diapers at all times except overnight and nap times; talking about the potty and what it's for; and yes, even taking her into the bathroom with us while we go potty so that she can see it's normal for others to use the potty as well.  Although she's still very insistant that she does NOT need to go potty, she seems to enjoy the novelty of the whole thing, and definitely likes keeping track of everyone else's progress.

Today I took Addison to McDonalds for a mother-daughter lunch time... I enjoy these trips largely because I KNOW she'll actually eat food, even if it's not the healthiest food, which is more than I have any other time (she's exercising her toddlerly right to refuse food at any given time, which she does more often than not.)  I chose the booth closest to the bathroom for no other reason than the fact that it was empty and looked mostly clean; however, this is a mistake I'll never make again.

Every time another customer went into the restroom, Addison would look at me and loudly ask, "POTTY??"  to which I would whisper "yes, he/she is going potty, but we don't have to talk about it."  Nonsense, she must think-- we talk about it all the time at home!  Which is why she then, loudly, would ask the stranger "All done potty?" when they emerged.  Luckily, Addison embarrasses me enough in public that I hardly feel any shame anymore, but this was ridiculous-- they were all laughing it off, but most of them also gave me very strange looks.

I can't even IMAGINE how this is going to escalate once she actually gets a grip on what actually goes on in the bathroom...

No comments: